Guilford Comic Con Rules!
Well, it does, but we also have policies that every attendee is expected to follow. Failure to follow any of the rules stated below will result in disciplinary measures at the discretion of library staff. These measures may include, but are not limited to: verbal warning, removal from Comic Con, and police intervention. Disrespecting or failure to follow instructions of library staff will result in immediate removal from the library and Comic Con and any other measure deemed appropriate by library staff.
1. Respect the library, its staff, its volunteers, and its general policies and behavior guidelines, which can be found in full here. No running, screaming, climbing, or utilizing unauthorized transportation within the library (such as skateboards, scooters, bicycles, roller-blades/skates, hoverboards, etc.). No destruction, theft, or unauthorized use of library property.
2. No weapons of any kind. Toy weapons that are part of a costume are permitted as long as they do not pose a risk to attendees and are very clearly recognizable as toys (guns must have the unremovable orange tip, swords must be made of plastic, foam, etc.). Nothing sharp, heavy, with projectiles, with chemicals/explosives, made of metal, with ammunition, or with moving parts is allowed in the library. Any questionable prop may be inspected by staff at any time and attendee may be asked to remove the prop from the building (lock it in their car) for the duration of the con.
3. Respect other attendees. This includes but is not limited to: personal space boundaries, not touching others without permission, asking before taking somebody’s photograph, being courteous about occupying others’ time, and having proper hygiene. No destruction, theft, or unauthorized use of other attendees’ personal property. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated and anyone found to be harassing other attendees will be removed from the library and con. We believe that ANY person, of ANY age, race, gender, weight, ability, etc. can cosplay ANY character of ANY age, race, gender, weight, ability, etc. Disparaging remarks based on physical characteristics of the cosplayer in relation to the fictional character they are cosplaying constitutes harassment, and will not be tolerated. Swinging props or otherwise endangering others will not be tolerated.
4. No explicit costumes. Chest and private areas must be covered at all times, regardless of gender, and proper footwear must be worn. No nudity or partial nudity is allowed (this includes bathing suits and costume malfunctions). Explicit, defamatory, or suggestive costumes are grounds for removal from the library and convention. This is a family-friendly event. You may be asked to cover up or leave the convention if your attire does not conform to these rules.
5. No unattended children. The library and its staff, volunteers, and convention presenters are not responsible for unattended children. In accordance with Connecticut State Law Sec. 53‐21a, children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible adult.
6. If you see something, say something. If you see something suspicious, if you are threatened or harassed by other attendees, or witness anyone engaging in dangerous activities or activities that violate the library’s policies, find a library staff member to report it. Library staff members will be in each program room and at each staff desk. They may also be identified by blue T-shirts with the “Guilford Comic Con” logo on the front and “Staff” on the back. Some staff may be in costume or muggle clothing, and will then be identified by a button with the “Guilford Comic Con” logo on it visibly displayed on their attire.